The 4th prototype of Last Starfleet features many changes you can’t see; redaction of complex rules, sharpening of the language and rules applied to ensure intuitive player experience. For instance, in P3 some of the ship deck cards were detrimental. That leaves a bad taste for players, so those cards were replaced. Other key updates include:
- The Asteroid Belt orbit deck was added!
- The size of both orbit decks was reduced
- The Leviathan planet was brought back to the first print – It was previously intended for expansion 1
- Analytics were run on all cards to create infographics that give players an idea of what they’ll encounter and what they are capable of…
- At 10 Orbital Cycle chits, the players construct the Beacon and win the game – This levels the game time, avoids “stalemate” and rewards players for “sticking it out”
- Orbital Cycle chits no longer determine the number of cards played by the planet
- The “landing contest” and “Immediately after drawn” cards were all replaced – We can do without them and this simplifies game play
- Planet cards and all ship cards were redesigned
- Added a “shuffle action” to all ships and planets – The planet adds OC and players get a choice between one of two powerful abilities
All in all, it has been a busy week and we’re ready to restart play testing!