I went about trimming as much as humanly possible from Last Starfleet in this last experimental version. Initial results from play testing are VERY positive!
Who’d have thought we could rip out all mention of engagement, beacon chits, all surface docking and even the indigenous chits and still have an engaging cooperative adventure. Now that we know, there’s a few other changes to consider.
(1) Add back in the ship mat to guide player card placement?
(2) Update the planet cards to appear more like the ships and even be the same size? This could reduce the box size across the board because the boards were always the biggest piece. I was also thinking of taking all mats/boards out of the game. All you need are several decks of cards and a hand full of chits, really.
(3) Lastly, is the turn order. It doesn’t feel natural to play cards for the planet that dock to atmo, read them, and then wait to have them take effect until the rest of the planet cards are played. I’ve also found that “when the going gets tough… players cheat!” 🙂 Which isn’t a big deal, but the breaking point is inevitably in skipping the effects of the docked atmo cards.
In other news, we are considering working with a graphic design group out of Mumbai, Crimzon Studio. They worked on a successful KS board game not long ago and their prices appear to be within threshold.
More to come, captains!