Grape Clichés are Grape Clichés for a Raisin – Cancellation and Relaunch at Lower Cost
Thanks to your overwhelming support, we raised over $5k on our very first campaign, in just a couple weeks! Unfortunately, it has been apparent for some time that we lost momentum. We’re cancelling the campaign and will be re-launching in 2-3 months. All backer funds will be released. I sincerely hope you’ll all return to back Last Starfleet when we relaunch with an even better product at a significantly reduced price. We’ll be publishing print and play versions so everyone can join the development process and have a chance to play Last Starfleet leading up to, and during, the relaunch!
Still Going Through Kickstarter?
Absolutely! We held this announcement while we regrouped; ruminating on whether or not Kickstarter was the right way to publish our first game and drafting a post-mortem. Since we’re relaunching on Kickstarter, you know where we stand. This first experience showed us how Kickstarter can build and engage the community to put the final polish on the product and the plan, together. That’s EXACTLY the way we want to publish Last Starfleet… together. And, what’s more fitting for a cooperative game, right!?
Are we disheartened that we have to relaunch? Surprisingly, no! We received so much incredibly valuable and insightful feedback from reviewers and all our backers… but the train was on the tracks and there wasn’t a solid system for “in-flight changes.” Now we can make ALL those improvements, add content, reduce costs, simplify reward levels and accelerate delivery timelines! Here are some highlights on the relaunch and the time leading up to it:
- Within the next 4-6 weeks, we’re going to publish print and plays! We’ll send out surveys to discuss and vote on changes to the game. Simply follow us online for more information!
- In the relaunch, we will leave the determination of which NEW SHIPS AND PLANETS will ship in the final game completely up to backers!
- We’ve set up contingency plans through multiple fulfillment and production companies so we can commit to much lower costs from the onset of the campaign. When we relaunch, we’ll set our goal MUCH lower and SIGNIFICANTLY reduce entry costs. (A Kickstarter cliché, I know. But grape clichés are grape clichés for a raisin. We’re smarter now; and you’ll see the dividends.)
Personally, I regret nothing. I prefer that we learned what we did and can give you something SO MUCH better, even if it is a few months later than originally intended. You deserve the best. From the Last Starfleet team, you have our sincerest thanks and… Stay tuned! Sam
- Can I still get the reviewer copy? Unfortunately not – No more will be printed because it no longer represents our best version of the game. You will be able to get the print and play before we relaunch the campaign.
- How is it you’re bringing the goal down – what changed? Astronomically far above all else, I found multiple production partners that have agreed to lower minimum print quantities. Our original printer required 1,500 copies, minimum. Now, I can print 250 if need be. That also makes a basic vs. deluxe version feasible!
- I’m happy to answer any other questions you have in the comments or directly by message!
And here’s a sneak peek at a brandy new starship, just for you!